Chasing performance

A brief update on how things are progressing

I'm starting to edge towards a final sprint. I need to replace the holding voice over with something other than my own voice ;) and sort out some bugs. One aspect of the build that began to really trouble me was the frame-rate.  The game started out as an experiment in Unity's HDRP, over a year ago, and its seen a fair few updates in that time as the HDRP framework made it's way out of beta and into a full release.  As the game has developed along with this render pipeline, I started to see frame rate dip ... in some places hitting 28fps on a desktop PC running a 1070 gfx card. 

Troubled with this, I bit the bullet and spent a good amount of time reading up on refining the pipeline and a few weeks ago, one Saturday afternoon that magical performance boost came out of no-where after tweaking some settings under the bonnet and discovering I had two global post processing volumes (although I don't think this really effected it too much) I'm now glad to say the game regularly hit's 70 - 80 fps which is a massive performance gain. Phewieeee! 

I also discovered that you can render gizmo's at runtime in the game view - this may have been a feature that's been around for ages, but it's great for debugging. There's also been some more refinements on the UI - moving the input prompts to a set location out the way of the action. This has worked out well as it's meant I've standardised inputs.

That's all for now, thanks for reading.

Get Nascent Prophecy

Download NowName your own price

Leave a comment

Log in with to leave a comment.